The regatta is intended to solidify country berths for the 2019 Pan American Games in Lima, Peru. RCA is aiming to qualify twelve boats at the qualification regatta including: Lightweight women’s single sculls, lightweight women’s double sculls, women’s pair, women’s double sculls, women’s quadruple sculls, men’s single sculls, lightweight men’s double sculls, men’s pair, men’s double sculls, men’s four, and men’s quadruple sculls. The men’s eight boat does not require a qualification event.
“The Pan American Qualification Regatta will be an exciting opportunity for this group of athletes,” said Director of Coach and Athlete Pathways, Adam Parfitt. “They will be exposed to a bunch of racing in different boat classes over a couple of days in order to secure Canada’s position at the 2019 Pan American Games in Lima. Rio is one of the most spectacular and scenic rowing venues in the world and the same venue that hosted the 2016 Olympic Games.”
The Canadian roster features Charles Alexander, Marilou Duvernay-Tardif from the 2018 Under 23 World Championships, and Alanna Fogarty, Kristina Walker, Daan Arscott, and Hunter Amesbury from the 2018 FISU World University Championships.
The team will be supported by RCA National team coach Terry Paul and NextGen/AQA coach Gavin McKay.
- Charles Alexander – Sudbury Rowing Club
- Hunter Amesbury – Leander Boat Club
- Daan Arscott – University of Victoria Rowing Club
- Laird Brown – Winnipeg Rowing Club
- Ellis Hollands – Brentwood College Rowing Club/ University of Victoria
- Spencer Kielar – Guelph Rowing Club
- Steven Payne – University of Alberta/Calgary Rowing Club
- Alex Sawers – University of Victoria Rowing Club
- Jessica Sevick – Calgary Rowing Club/ University of British Columbia
- Elana Taub – Calgary Rowing Club/ Victoria City Rowing Club
- Michelle Truax – Kingston Rowing Club/Winnipeg Rowing Club
- Kristina Walker – Kingston Rowing Club/University of British Columbia
- Marilou Duvernay-Tardif – Aviron Knowlton Rowing Club
- Alanna Fogarty – Ottawa Rowing Club/Vesper Rowing Club
Similar to Olympic qualification, Canada will qualify the boat and number of seats at this regatta. The Pan American team selection event for athletes will be held at 2019 RCA Speed Orders – National team selection regatta in June.
The 2019 Pan American Games will be held in Lima, Peru from July 26-August 11. This event will be the first Pan American Games held in Peru, becoming the largest sporting event hosted by the country.