Board of Directors
The RCA Board of Directors' role is to govern RCA by providing leadership and direction in the pursuit of its vision and mission. The Board is elected by the membership of RCA and is accountable to the membership for competent stewardship that will ensure the long-term viability of RCA. The Board of Directors' first duty is to the legal entity CARA. In meetin g this duty the Board must ensure that all legal requirements under the relevant Acts are met and that CARA is protected from harmful situations and circumstances in the interests of current and future stakeholders. For more information on the Board's role, please see the RCA Governance Policy.
The Board believes that good corporate governance is vital to the effective and efficient operation of RCA. RCA employs a model of governance that separates governance and management functions, delegating to the CEO the responsibility for managing the operations of RCA in accordance with Board direction and policies, and subject to any limite that may be established by the Board.
ROWING CANADA AVIRON
NOMINATIONS FOR ELECTION - RCA ANNUAL MEETING
FINAL NOMINATIONS REPORT - 2016
August 23, 2016
Under the terms of Section 11 of the RCA By-Laws, the RCA Nominating Committee submitted to the Membership a slate of candidates for the Board of Directors to be elected at the 2016 RCA Annual Meeting. In accordance with paragraph 11.6, members in good standing were able to resubmit nominations or submit further nominations for election to the Board of Directors, provided such nominations meet the eligibility requirements set out in paragraph 9.3 and are received by the registered office of CARA in the form set out in paragraphs 11.7 and 11.8 no later than 30 days prior to the Annual Meeting (August 16, 2016).
We note that the final closing date for nominations has passed and no further nominations were received. Therefore,
- to the position of Provincial Director for a term to end at the 2018 RCA Annual Meeting, Carol Purcer will be re-elected by acclamation;
- to the position of Director at Large for a term to end at the 2018 RCA Annual Meeting, Thomas Hawker will be elected by acclamation;
- to the position of Director at Large for a term to end at the 2018 RCA Annual Meeting, Ian Gordon will be elected by acclamation.
If you have any questions regarding the election of directors at the RCA Annual Meeting please contact our office by phone: 1.877.722.4769 ext. 2; or e-mail: email@example.com.
Chair, RCA Nominating Committee
Nominating Committee Members:
Carol Hermansen, Chair
Peter Jackson, Provincial Advisory Council Representative
Andrew Fitzgerald, RCA Director at Large
Stephen Murray, Member at Large
Michael Walker, President RCA, Ex-Officio Member
ROWING CANADA AVIRON
Nominations for Election
2016 Annual Meeting
July 29, 2016
Under the terms of Section 111 of the RCA By-Laws, the RCA Board of Directors has appointed a Nominating Committee to prepare a list of candidates for the elected offices to be voted by electronic ballot prior to the 2016 Annual Meeting, which will be held by webinar/teleconference on September 15, 2016.
The Nominating Committee consists of Carol Hermansen, Chair; Stephen Murray, Member at Large; Andrew Fitzgerald, Director at Large; Peter Jackson, Provincial Advisory Council Representative; and Michael Walker, President of Rowing Canada Aviron, as an ex-officio member. The Nominating Committee provides the following report on the positions to be elected at the 2016 Annual Meeting:
- Provincial Director to a term to end at the 2018 Annual Meeting: The Provincial Advisory Council has confirmed their proposed nominee to this position to be Carol Purcer, current incumbent in this role. Carol Purcer has confirmed her intention to have her name stand for re-election. As per paragraph 11.4 of the RCA By-Laws, which stipulates that the Provincial Advisory Committee be solicited for a nominee, the Nominating Committee endorses the nomination of Carol Purcer for the position of Provincial Director.
- Directors at Large (2) to a term to end at the 2018 Annual Meeting: The Nominating Committee conducted an open call for Expressions of Interest and and received a good response. Potential candidates were interviewed to find the most suitable nominees in accordance with the needs expressed in the May 2016 Call for Expressions of Interest. The committee is thankful to all of the individuals that put their names forward for consideration.
The two candidates below endorsed by the Nominating Committee have achieved leadership stature in their professional spheres, made a mark in the non-profit sector, and demonstrated significant commitment to and understanding of RCA’s stakeholders and members.
- Thomas (Tom) Hawker, current Director at Large and Treasurer of RCA, has submitted his intent to stand for election. Tom was appointed to the position of Treasurer by the Board of Directors on February 18, 2016, and was subsequently appointed as a Director at Large by the RCA Board of Directors on May 7, 2016 to fill the remaining term of a vacant position. The Nominating Committee supports the nomination of Tom Hawker for election to a Director at Large position to meet the requirement for a candidate with a strong Finance background and to continue as Treasurer of RCA. Mr. Hawker is a CA with extensive experience in financial management as a Partner with an accounting firm and is involved in the community with the United Way and as a long-serving member of the Camosun College Foundation Board of Directors. Tom started rowing for recreation with his daughters in 2002 and has gone on to compete in local and international regattas.
- Ian Gordon is a qualified candidate who submitted an expression of interest to the Committee. Following a review, the Committee supports the nomination of Ian Gordon for election to a Director at Large position based on his expertise to meet the need for a candidate with a broad range of skills in business management, finance and IT. Professionally, Mr. Gordon has CPA / CA designations and has started and developed 2 successful high tech companies. Ian has also volunteered his time as a Director with Rowing BC and Burnaby Lake Rowing Club and has chaired a number of regattas. He also competed with the Canadian National Rowing Team from 1970 – 1980.
In accordance with paragraph 11.6 of the RCA By-Laws, Members in Good Standing can resubmit nominations or submit further nominations for election to the Board of Directors provided these candidates meet the eligibility requirements set out in paragraph 9.3. Nominations must be tendered to the registered office of RCA as set out in paragraphs 11.7 and 11.8, provided that they are received by RCA in the proper form, and no later than 30 days prior to the Annual Meeting, August 16, 2016. RCA shall include such nominations in the notice of meeting and on the ballot forms for the election. This is the final closing date for nominations and no nominations shall be accepted after that date. Please refer to Section 11 of the RCA By-Laws and for more information on nominating a candidate. Please download a copy of the Candidate Nomination Form here.
After the final closing date for nominations, August 16, 2016, candidate information will be posted online in the 2016 Annual Meeting section of the RCA website.
Online voting at the RCA Annual Meeting for the following agenda items by members in good standing2 will begin at 12 noon PDT on August 26, 2016 and conclude at 12 noon PDT, September 14, 2016:
1. Acceptance of the Annual Financial Statements and Auditor’s Report
2. Appointment of the Auditor
3. Election of Directors
Please contact the RCA office if you have any questions by phone (1-877-722-4769 x2) or e-mail <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Chair, RCA Nominating Committee
1Board of Directors Amendment - RCA By-Laws, Para 11.1: The Nominating Committee is appointed by the Board of Directors and shall consist of at least one member of the Board of Directors who shall serve as chair, one member put forward by the Provincial Advisory Council and two other persons. None of the members of the Nominating Committee shall be seeking office in the election. Members of the Nominating Committee shall be appointed for a two year term which may be renewed.
2RCA By-Laws: Section 6 – Voting at Meetings of Members and Section 7 – Registered Participants
Call For Expressions of Interest
Rowing Canada Aviron – Board of Directors
May 18, 2016
Rowing Canada Aviron (RCA) is seeking expressions of interest for individuals to fill two Director-at-Large positions to be elected to the RCA Board of Directors at the September 15, 2016 Annual Meeting.
RCA is the national sport governing body for Rowing in Canada and is a registered Canadian charity. With its head office in Victoria, B.C. and its National Training Centre operations in London, Ontario and Victoria, British Columbia, RCA serves a broad constituency of over 13,000 participants through over 153 member clubs and associations across the country and is proud to be one of Canada’s top performing Summer Olympic sports.
The RCA Nominating Committee is looking for people of diverse backgrounds who want to be actively involved and engaged in this dynamic organization. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about RCA’s mission and who has a track record of board or volunteer leadership.
Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the non-profit sector and demonstrate a commitment to and understanding of RCA’s stakeholders and members. Board Members will have savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals, along with personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of RCA’s members and participants.
The committee is seeking candidates for two Director at Large positions with any combination of one or more of the following competencies:
- Knowledge of communications techniques and ability to communicate about Canadian sport issues to the public;
- Experience in marketing, brand development, organization positioning in complex settings;
- Understanding of charitable sector philanthropy, with professional or personal networks and ability to “open doors”; or,
- Understanding of legal aspects relevant to a not-for-profit organization in the charitable sector
RCA Board Members meet in person approximately three times per year on weekends (typically Spring, Fall, and during the annual RCA Conference in January) and at other times via conference call throughout the year. Board Members can also serve as liaisons to RCA Committees and Working Groups and as such, provide leadership and guidance to these Committees on an ongoing basis. The length of term for Director-at-Large positions is two years.
Directors and Officers must fulfill all requirements of the Canada Corporations Act (or its successor legislation, the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act) and the Canada Revenue Agency’s requirements for Board Members of Registered Charities.
If you meet these requirements, offer some of the key competencies of Directors of RCA, and you are interested in contributing your expertise to our progressive and innovative organization, please send a resume and statement of interest by Sunday, July 17, 2016 to Carol Hermansen, Chair, RCA Nominating Committee at the address below. Inquiries for more information about the RCA Board of Directors should also be directed to Ms Hermansen.
RCA Board of Directors (2016)